UNITAR and the Science Diplomacy Center™ (SDC) share common goals and objectives with regard to training and research that involves science diplomacy and informed decisionmaking for sustainable development at local-to-global levels. UNITAR provides innovative learning solutions to individuals, organizations and institutions to enhance global decisionmaking and support country-level as well as diplomat-level actions for shaping a better future. In a complementary manner, the SDC mission is to enhance understanding as well as to create capacities with science diplomacy that both lead to informed decision and build common interests for sustainable development. With the complementary organizational missions, based on mutual trust and in spirit of cooperation, UNITAR and SDC have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the next three year to facilitate collaboration.
The thematic areas the organizations will work together on are:
- Science diplomacy from paper to practice.
- Training and research with informed decisionmaking skills, methods and theory.
- Common-interest building in negotiations.
- Inclusive global dialogues about Open Science.
- Operating short-to-long term at pandemic to climate time scales.
Some specific projects include:
- Implementation of the Global Indigenous Youth Summit on Climate Change on 9 August 2023 (United Nations International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples) that will be hosted by UNITAR with Science Diplomacy Center™ coordination.
- Design of a generic Joint Master’s Degree in Science Diplomacy with UNITAR that can be integrated into university programs around the world in coordination with the Science Diplomacy Center™, building on the example with MGIMO University.
- Production of international webinars, building on the template of the February-March 2022 webinar series on Enhancing International Scientific Cooperation: Arctic Science and Technology Advice in Ministries
- Training of science diplomacy and informed decisionmaking with diplomatic academies through Ministries of Foreign Affairs and with UNITAR programs generally.
- Collaboration with UNITAR in the International Forum on Diplomatic Training (IFDT).
- Collaboration with UNITAR in science diplomacy initiatives among United Nations organizations.
- Collaboration in science diplomacy initiatives with UNITAR and the International Council of Science.
The Center is looking forward to a fruitful partnership with UNITAR in these areas and beyond.